Friday 24 August 2012

CUP Awareness Day - Coming Soon

I fits in it - I sits in it!
Hello again

Nothing too exciting has been happening this week. Have been going to work - and then working on my Parish Council stuff at home - as well as doing housework.

It is nice to be back to normal though :-)

Thought you might like to see this photo of our cat Buddy (known affectionately as Boodle) I had some new boots and he decided he liked the box. What is it about cats and boxes? They can't resist one!!

We got a bit excited when we received a letter addressed to our missing cat Kurt. We though it might be from the microchip company telling us someone had found him - but no! Sadly it was from the vets telling us to bring him in for his booster shots. If only we could! He disappeared when I first got ill and he's has not been seen since. We thought with him being microchipped that if he'd been injured or lost and taken to a vets then we would have heard. We just reckon he's moved house to somewhere where he gets more tinned tuna. It's the only explanation!

In medical news I have an appointment next Wednesday at the hospital just round the corner from us -- The Bradwell. I have been there once before to have a blood test. This time I will be off to Audiology to get my hearing tested. I have to say the tinnitus isn't getting any better - in fact it seems worse every time I come out of a loud environment. I don't know what they'll be able to do to help - we'll have to see. I read somewhere that listening to noises of the sea can help. Might be quite relaxing if nothing else!

Then the week after that I am back at the hospital to see Mr Hughes - or one of his team for my monthly check-up. This will be a regular thing for the next year - then next year it will be spaced out a bit more - and so on until I've done five years without incident. Then I might get discharged. It is good to know they will be keeping an eye on me.

I was happy to learn that Jo's Friends - the website where I managed to find some information when I was first diagnosed with CUP - are campaigning for a CUP Awareness Day - to try and let people know that it exists and affects a lot of people. Most of us had never heard of CUP until we were diagnosed with it ourselves! Had you?

Anyway they have a PR company who are going to try to get lots of our stories in the papers and magazines around 22nd October. Also Channel 4 are making a programme called 'STAND UP TO CANCER’ to raise money for cancer trials. They want to feature CUP and have asked if they can interview someone who has been affected by it as a patient or loved one. I said I was happy to help and had a chat with Nancy who is organising it. She asked me about my story - and she also read some of this blog. She is putting me forward for the C4 thing and also said some magazines might be interested too.

Anything that will help to raise the profile of CUP and lead to better diagnosis can only be a good thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment