Sunday 5 August 2012

Amazing Olympics!!

New to this? Check out the First Post

What an awesome Saturday it has been at the Olympics. Had a great time watching on TV today - not managed to do much else as we kept winning medals! We were disappointed that we didn't get any tickets when we tried to get them a few months ago - but the coverage on BBC has been fantastic.

Makes you feel inspired to do more sport. We shall be out running in the morning :-) We did miss our Friday run though - as we had to take Buddy, our black and white kittie to the vet's. We had been worried about him all night. He came in last night coughing and spluttering - as if he'd got something stuck in his throat. Laura sat up with him until 2.30am and he was still coughing and looking very sad, so I rang the emergency vet. He asked a few questions and as he wasn't crying or scrabbling at his throat he thought it would be okay to leave it until morning and then take him in then,

N was so worried he slept downstairs to keep an eye on him. In the morning we tried to get him into his basket to take him down there. He was a little reluctant! N dropped me off early - as he had to go to the dentist. They did open up at 8.30am for admitting pets for operations - so I sat in the waiting room and watched lots of worried owners with their (mainly) dogs, handing them over to the veterinary nurses and being told to ring later to see how they were. One little girl came in with her mum - with her cat in a basket. She was in tears because the cat was crying because it hated being in there. I was nearly in tears myself! It was a kittie with a toothache - come in for some dental surgery.


Buddy was very well-behaved and quiet though. We were the first in once they started surgery at 9am. The nice lady vet had a look in his mouth but couldn't see far enough in to see if there was something there, although when she touched his throat he coughed on cue! She decided he'd have to stay, have a general anaesthetic so they could have a proper look to see what was causing the problem. We left without him, and called back later around three. The cheery receptionist told us that they had found some grass stalks stuck in his throat and that he was fine now.

We went to pick him up and the nurse brought him out and showed us two little bits of grass in a tissue that they had fetched out of his throat. He was a little woozy - but even though we tried to keep him indoors he forced his way out of the locked catflap. He was determined to be outside! He came back after a while and slept peacefully on the sofa. He managed to eat again too. He's had a bit of a cough now and again - but the vet  said he wouldn't need to go back.I suppose his throat will be a bit sore for a while. I know the feeling!!

Join the Summer Reading Challenge!!

In other news I did one FULL day at work this week! It was pretty busy too which was good. I knew I'd done it by the end of the day - but I felt okay over all :-) Next week I'm adding Monday morning to my repertoire too! We have launched the Summer Reading Challenge , to encourage children to read six books over the summer holidays. The theme this year is Story Lab, so Tracy and I enjoyed some cutting out and colouring of test tubes and beakers - and Tracy's daughter Sarah decorated the entrance in this eye-catching way. We think it looks great!
Sarah is helping us on Saturdays - to get kids signed up. We have a target and are over 100 already.

In medical news I've had a letter from the hospital asking me to come along to see a breast consultant - to investigate the strange thing they've seen on all my scans - on the left side. They are pretty certain it is something benign as it hasn't changed at all. But as the Primary Cancer still remains a mystery they are being ultra-cautious and checking out absolutely everything. I'm not worried :-)

Last night we went out to celebrate Danilo's birthday. He's an old school friend of N's and he lives in Edinburgh (lucky chap!!) He is good company and we enjoyed a nice meal at the Blue Chilli with him and some others. He will be back there next week enjoying the Edinburgh Festival. I really want to go to that again. I love the Fringe and all the random shows you can see. Maybe next year ... :-)


Why haven't I noticed this before?

Laura told me something amazing yesterday - which I didn't know. In fact everyone I have told since, didn't know either. Did YOU know that there is something inside your car that tells to which side your petrol cap is on? The little petrol pump symbol by the gauge actually has an arrow pointing towards the correct side. When I looked in N's car - it is true! I'd never noticed that before. How handy :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment