Wednesday 12 June 2013

Race for Life!!

New to this? Check out the First Post

Hi


Ready for Race for Life!
Just got back from Trentham - where the wonderful Book Group did the Race for Life - and managed to reach our target of over £500 for Cancer Research.

 I am so happy! Thanks so much to Janet, Tracy and Dawn for agreeing to join me for this wonderful event and for working so hard to get lots of sponsors.


Tracy, Dawn, Berni and Janet
The money isn't all in yet - so I will let you know our final total when I can.

Thank-you to all of you who gave money and to Nathan especially for running us there tonight and taking photos! Thanks also to Nathan's parents who came along to cheer us on as did my brother Dom and sis-in-law Sharon (it was great to see you there) 

The traffic was pretty heavy - and the roads full of women dressed in pink - as we approached the venue.


Heading to the Start
The atmosphere was terrific and very moving as you read what was on the back signs of many of the participants. That is where we put who we were running this event for. Some very sad messages, but many hopeful ones too: "For my mum" and "In memory of Miss P" (lots of those - she was evidently very popular) "For me in recovery" and some that just said "for everyone".




We all went through the shop to the Italian Gardens and the race marshals showed us the way to the start. Really, we were just carried along in a sea of pink. One lady had sprayed her white poodle pink and given her a tutu to wear too!


Ready to go!
The runners went of first, then the joggers and after that the majority of us who were walkers. It was a 5 kilometre route and took us round the lake and through the lovely gardens.

As we set off it was slow going in such a crowd but as people gradually dispersed a little  we could find our own pace.


At the Finishing Line
It was a warm evening and we enjoyed chatting as we went around. It didn't seem long until we saw the 1k marker.

Everyone was relaxed and happy. There were lots of people around the course and as Janet said to me - it was amazing how much difference it made having people cheering you on and telling you that you were doing well and nearly there!



Some people were pushing babies in buggies and others were pushing wheelchairs - it must have been much tougher for them as there were a few uphill bits and the ground was very uneven.


The Book Group with their medals!

It was probably just over an hour when we saw the finish line. Luckily that bit was downhill - and we were soon being cheered through the finishing line and given our medals! We are very proud of them and have all vowed to do it again next year!

Nathan said that the first runner came through the finish line after just 19 minutes - that is good going! Janet suggested that next year we should aim to jog round and the year after maybe run it! We might need to start the training now :-)


My Back Sign
 Afterwards you could put your back message onto a big board with everyone else's. It made a really emotional display - although one made us smile "For my partner's testicle - RIP" So many people affected by cancer - it was inspirational to take part in such a great effort.

 There were around 4,000 women taking part at this one event - I imagine Cancer Research will have a lot more in their bank account after tonight!
The wall of Back Signs at the end.



Thanks once again to all you who donated! If you meant to - it's not too late! Check out the donation page at http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/the-book-group


In other news -  I went for my 12 month scan on Monday. I am now in the grip of "Scanxiety" waiting for the results! Hopefully all will be well so I can say I have beaten cancer for good!

xx






















1 comment:

  1. O my goodness, you have got me shedding a few tears here, Berni! I am SOOO proud of you all and thrilled that you got over the £500 mark. I know how much you have been up hill and down dale and here you were doing the Race for Life and with your book pals. Tracy, you are an awesome colleague and friend. The other two members of your team too. Now Berni I wish you speedy results and further peace of mind. Can't wait to see your medals when I come by on June 28.

    ReplyDelete