Wednesday 5 June 2013

Hospital Visit

New to this? Check out the First Post
 
Hi!
 

Main Reception
I went to the hospital on Monday - for my two-monthly  check-up. It is looking pretty nice. With going so often over the last year we have seen lots of hoardings go up and now they are coming down bit by bit to reveal new hospital! Also,  the landscaping is looking really good. This is me outside the awesome new Reception. It's great - most of the services now are in this main building and well signposted. If you look a bit lost after checking in - there are always staff to show you where to go - take you there if necessary!
 

Looking out from the Main Building
Anyway - we had a bit of a wait. When I was in Head and Neck Reception I saw one of my customers go through in a wheelchair. He's has been a regular - every week in the library borrowing Westerns - and he'd told me about his problems with neck cancer. He had a very large lump recently, that was stopping him eating and when he went for a biopsy - they kept him in.  Unfortunately I didn't get chance to have a word with him - I hope he's doing okay.
So, I couldn't complain about the wait if he was being seen to. 
Bright and Sunny

 
When I got in - I saw Mr Hughes - the Head Honcho! The awesome consultant who did my operation. He examined me and had a look around my throat and nose and voice box with the camera. He said everything looked fine and he'd see me in another two months. I did ask him about having a CT Scan as Dr Gahir had said I should have one a year after the last one. It is almost a year since I had the all-clear from the last one!
 He looked again at my notes and said since I'd had adenocarcinoma (which isn't usually found in the heads and neck) he would send me for a full body scan. I said that would make me feel better - since we still have no idea where this cancer thing started!
So I was given a note for a blood test and had to go to the new Vampire Area on the first floor to have blood taken before the scan could be done. Today I got a call asking me to come in for the scan on Monday. How efficient are they?? That's wonderful :-)
In other news - it is less than a week to our Race for Life - it's on June 11th at 7pm at Trentham Gardens. I am looking forward to it - and our target of £500 is starting to look achievable. Thank-you to ALL of you who have given us money so far. I can't tell you how much I think that Cancer Research is vitally important - especially with sneaky little cancers like CUP.
So, did I ever tell you we have a fundraising page - http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/the-book-group
where you can donate online - it is totally secure.

A quicker way to donate is to text 70070 with the code BOOK56 followed by any amount from £1 to £10 - it is easy and very fast!

If you prefer to deal with real money we'll have sponsorship forms too. I'm sure we'll pop one in the library - if you are nearby :-)

Meanwhile our quest for world Pub Quiz domination continues... this week we tried the one at the Cherry Tree on the A34 in Newcastle. it was a great one - there was a very amusing Scouser who was the host and his questions were pretty unusual. he gave us Dingbats, audio clips from comedy shows, music and lots of really cool categories - and didn't include much sport! We did pretty well - we came second and won a Terrys Chocolate Orange. It was good fun - so we might return. he's only been doing it for a few weeks - trying to get it off the ground. I think we should support his efforts!

We got some great photos from the library Hanging Basket class from Farida - so I have made a display in the library with them - featuring gardening books - it looks pretty cool and lots of the books have been going out.
The Ladies look like they are having fun!


Come and get your gardening books.








1 comment:

  1. Will be thinking of you all tomorrow as I think it is your Race for Life (hope I haven't got the dates mixed up with a friend doing a sponsored swim!).

    Go Berni go! Good luck to Tracy too!

    Really looking forward to seeing you both at the knitting event :)

    Love, Caroline

    ReplyDelete