Monday 4 February 2013

Hospital Visit

New to this? Check out the First Post

Back from the hospital. It was so busy this morning - we had to go up to the top of the multi-storey car park and half-way down again before we found a space.

We guessed that it must mean that the whole place was busy - and we were right! We had quite a wait in the main waiting room. That was fine though - as we saw Frank and his wife waiting there too so we could catch up. It was so nice to see him!

 He was looking quite thin - but he said that he had his PEG out a couple of weeks ago (horrendous experience he said - and I would agree!) so was actually eating real food now - supplemented by the liquid food. So, hopefully he'll fatten up a bit soon. Nothing tastes nice though - and he can't eat a lot. He has a very dry mouth and needs water with everything. It is some progress though.

The not so good news though was that he has another lump in his neck and one in his chest. So last week he was back having another scan. He was waiting for the results today. I hope it is not serious. On the good news side - they have booked a holiday and are looking forward to that in May.

After about an hour we were called round to Sub Wait 1 and I hadn't got far with my Su Doku when we were called into the Corridor of Consultants! We were taken past the usual door and went into a room further down the corridor. There was Mr Hughes!! I haven't seen him since just after my operation. He said "It's a year since your operation" - so I guess that's why he saw me today, to see how I was doing. There was a room full of people, not all familiar - I recognised Wendy the Special Nurse and a young man called Neil did the honours with the nose cam today. He took his time and was very gentle - but it still made my eyes water! (Note to self - don't buy any unwaterproof mascara again!)

Wendy said to Mr Hughes that I had a "good neck" I did wonder what she was on about! From what I could gather from their conversation they'd  had a patient in who was just about to undergo a Radical Neck Dissection and wanted to know how she would look afterwards. Mr Hughes didn't think that I wold enjoy meeting her though!

He did say that all was well with me though - and he would see me back in two months! So my next appointment isn't until April! I am quite happy with that.

Tonight we are going to Miso in Stoke for some Japanese food and another Meet-Up with the App Creators of Stoke. Chris and Katherine will be there - they have just come back from an educational technology fair, where they met Johnny Ball. You know - Zoe's dad - did "Think of a Number" and other such gems on TV. I will be able to hear all about it. I think he liked their educational apps!

I probably won't be able to contribute much to the conversation but I will enjoy the food and maybe a small glass of their wonderful Plum wine. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous news that all was well with your check-up, Berni! Every "all clear" is precious and you'll be able to hear me cheering from mid-Cheshire! We missed you at the library but the wonderful Tracy help me set up.

    We're on half-term this week but I look forward to seeing you again on Feb 21. The borrowed Silverdale book re-appeared too, so that's good. I've enjoyed reading up about St Luke's too as your blog reminded me about the stained glass window for the miners.

    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete