Saturday 8 July 2023

2023 - Back to the Blog

 Well, here we are again - I have decided to continue my blog again. Since the pandemic I have got a new job - I work in a wonderful care home called Hempstalls Hall - where my dad is living now. I am a Well-Being Co-ordinator - so I basically look after residents welfare - my lovely colleague, Karen and I take them out to coffee shops, garden centres, the theatre and shops, arrange entertainers to come in and play quizzes and words games, do gardening and give them treats like a drinks trolley, afternoon teas or chocolates. It is such fun (and very hard work!) Definitely the best thing about the job is the residents. They are amazing and every one has a story. 




So, what else have I been up to?

Well, I started this blog as a cancer blog - and just recently, out of the blue I was phoned by Paula from Cancer Research UK who said "We are opening a CRUK Superstore on your toen - and we'd like you, as a Cancer Survivor, to cut the ribbon on the day.

Of all the things I thought I might do in my life - I never imagined that I would be asked to open a shop!

It happened on 8th June and I had such a lovely day. There were lots of volunteers, managers, staff from CRUK media team and a photographer (and another one from The Sentinel) present too. I went into the shop with Nathan, and we had a look around and met everyone. The head of media gave a talk and then they asked me to talk about my journey through cancer. it was wonderful - and they gave me a massive bouquet of flowers. Then came the ribbon cutting. There was a huge queue outside waiting to be let in and the Town Cryer, Bill, announced the opening. I used some oversized comedy scissors for the photos - then cut the ribbon with actual scissors - just as everyone poured in. You couldn't move inside the shop - and it was massive!


Laura had taken the day off and my brother Dom and his wife Sharon came too. Karen brought some of the residents of the home - including my dad and Betty and Shirley. It was a fabulous occasion!





No comments:

Post a Comment