Sunday 24 November 2019

New Job





I thought it was time I revived my blog - I miss writing about the daily goings on - it is easy to forget details and a blog is a god way to remind yourself what you've done and where you've been!
I guess my biggest news recently is my change of job. I am no longer a librarian (well, I am really inside - it never leaves you!) However, I now work in the theatre, darlings!




It’s always a little nerve-wracking starting a new job – especially in an environment you haven’t worked in before – so coming from libraries to a theatre has held some surprises! It is such a busy place where thee is always something happening!

The box office staff have been wonderful welcoming me into their fold and very patient while showing me the ropes. There has been quite a lot to learn – who knew the Box Office did so much?

The first thing that struck me was how important it is to try to get customers who come in or phone for tickets, the cheapest possible deal they can get. Whether it is a 3 or 6 play package, an under 26-year-old getting a free ticket or a concession for disabled customers and a free ticket for their carer. Also, matinees and first nights are cheaper too in many cases - there are so many permutations to choose from to make a visit to the theatre more affordable for all. Let's face it - these days we all need an escape from reality - and the theatre is the perfect immersive experience. 


The Box Office is also the custodian of all parcels and mail coming into the theatre. Whether it is a china tea set – ordered for the upcoming comedy Handbagged -which features the Queen and Mrs Thatcher’s imagining meetings at Buck House, a clinking delivery for the Gin Bar upstairs or someone dropping off some old tweed suits for the costume department.


People come in for lots of reasons, to meet friends for lunch in the cafĂ©, or drop kids off for the Summer School (which is where the children in the Christmas show are chosen from) or even, one evening last week, someone asking us to dogsit their assistance dog while they enjoyed A Comedy of Eric’s. He was adorable and very well behaved in the care of the Front-of-House staff and volunteers.


The job has its funny moments too – this week a gentleman arrived, all dressed up with his wife to pick up his tickets – when we discovered he had come a week too early! My colleague said – don’t worry – we have seats for tonight if you want to swap? So, a marital crisis was averted! Looks like this is going to be a very fun job – watch this space…


No comments:

Post a Comment