Saturday 18 January 2014

BETT 2014 - here we come!

Well, it is only 3 Days, 16 Hours and 43 Minutes to the start of the BETT Show 2014 Show (as the website is counting down the minutes!)

This will be the first time I will have been to a trade exhibition as an exhibitor (well assistant to exhibitors!) and it will be an interesting experience I'm sure! It is the first time for JIGSAW SCHOOL APPS too.

It's been quite a learning experience already. Trying to think of everything is quite a challenge :-)

This week we have picked up the matching branded polo shirts and hoodies - for us all to wear on the stand.

They have come out pretty well and I especially love the hoodie! Nathan and Darren are going down to London Tuesday lunchtime - so that they can get to ExCel in time to set up the stand before Wednesday when it is opened at 10am by Michael Gove.

They have lots to take with them including a podium, four pull-up banners and many other things. For example, today we went to the cash and carry to get boatloads of mint imperials and biscuits. We have a friend who is a teacher (Hi, Si!), so we know that the way to a teacher's heart is via free biscuits :-)

I shall be setting off after work on Tuesday and meeting them at the hotel later. I just need to learn what to say - before they disappear! I don't want to tell people the wrong thing! I think my main job will be to hand out leaflets and invite people to come and have a demo of the amazing apps that Jigsaw Apps produce - for all kinds of phones - iPhones, Android devices and the growing-in- popularity Windows phones - like the rather groovy Nokia Lumias that we have :-)

 I think it is going to be hard work - over four long days - but fun! It's nice to met new people.

Something surprising happened that did actually take me aback this week - which really shows how competitive this industry must be at events like this.

Nathan and I are signed up with a local extras agency. I haven't done much - but N has been in lots of things - like Coronation Street and The State on Channel 4. Well, this Thursday we both got an email from our agent. He was asking for extras who might be available to go to ExCel

He said "We did this last year and people had a good time. We have been employed by a local technology company to provide extras pretending to be teachers to sit and watch presentations for the day at the BETT show...They just need people to sit and listen so it makes their stand look busy. It would be for one day and will pay £100. Let us know which day you can do"  They are looking at getting a Megabus to provide transport.

Can you believe it??? It never occurred to me that companies did this kind of thing. If I'd had known I would have persuaded the whole family to come down and mill around our stand to make us look busy :-)

Who knew such subterfuge went on??
So, not everyone at BETT is actually a teacher - or anything to do with education. I'll have to look out for these imposters!

So - wish us luck - and I will report back after Sunday! When we've recovered!!

xx



No comments:

Post a Comment