Saturday 12 October 2013

Check-Up Time Again


New to this? Check out the First Post



Bronze sculpture outside British Library
'
NEWTON' after William Blake by Eduardo Paolozzi 1995

 
This week I had my bi-monthly check-up at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire. My department was quiet and I got in there in no time. I saw Mr Hughes himself and he decided that I didn't need the camera down my nose and throat this time. Yeah! In fact he said that he doesn't know why they do it at all really as, since I had adenocarcinoma, this isn't found in the head and neck usually. What he treated were the secondaries - the primary as we know was never found. He said there's nothing they can really do - but they will do anything that makes me feel better about it. They have to keep an eye on me for five years - so he suggested maybe an x-ray or scan every six months might be better. Probably won't do anything - but at least it is something. I said that would make me feel better! Also he wants to see me every THREE months now - which is good news :-)

I asked him if much research is being done on CUP - and he shook his head. There's very little being done for head and neck cancer or CUP - although they are trying to set up a Head and Neck group at Stafford and Stoke. He mentioned a doctor who had said in the papers, that most funds are directed to research in breast cancer - as that gets most publicity, who was then shot down for saying it. I think he may have been close to the truth though.

That's why Jo's Friends: Cancer of Unknown Primary Foundation is so important - they are raising funds for their own research projects. I really must get some more pins to sell - and if anyone is looking for Christmas cards - they do sell them on the website - here.
Mum with her cast on


Nathan tries it out
I'm not the only one to have been visiting hospitals recently either.

My poor mum has broken her wrist and has had to make several visits to get the cast right. She fell off her bottom stair - can you believe it? This made my dad call the Stannah people and get a stair lift installed right away. They were very quick! We've all had a go in it - it's great fun!

While we were in London Nathan's mum and dad went round to visit my mum and dad - to male sure they were okay. They even took over some cottage pie and trifle to keep them going? Isn't that lovely? My parents were very happy! We were pleased that someone was checking on them while we were away!
Nathan's mum has a go too!

Then when we got back from London, Nathan's dad had to go into hospital for a small operation. They kept him in overnight to make sure there weren't any complications - and I'm pleased to say he is now home and recovering well. While he was in the hospital he didn't ask for flowers or chocolates or even grapes - he just said "Bring me a pie for when I wake up - steak or pork will do!" So N took him a pork pie - and I brought him a steak one next day. I think they aided his swift recovery :-)

 Hopefully he's not lifting any dishwashers or refitting his bathroom just yet...

Back at work a crisis is looming - Tracy has applied for a job driving the mobile libraries. I have a feeling she will get it - she passed her HGV test just so she could apply! I'm not sure how I'm going to cope without my favourite (and only) colleague. (Sniffle, sniffle...) Silverdale Library will never be the same again without her. She set up the Knit and Natter, Crochet and Chatter Group. Look what they have been working on for the Innocent Smoothie Big Knit campaign:


Hats for Innocent Smoothies

Raising money for Age UK

How cute are they?









Sorry to end on a sad note there. I do think Tracy will make an AWESOME trucker though - one of Albert's Angels :-) Look out for her in a mobile library on the roads of Staffordshire.

Here's a little something to cheer us up - well it made me laugh anyway. It's an advert for some Fentimans soft drink - that I picked up in London:


Looks innocent enough..
...until you put your fingers where instructed :-)







2 comments:

  1. Berni!!! While I am VERY HAPPY about your checkup (and the possibility of less-invasive, and less-frequent, future checkups!) - I am SHOCKED at the pic of your mum in her pristine white cast! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE??????

    Do you not KNOW how important it is to sign a cast????? How can she recover fully--and quickly--if her loved ones DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO SIGN HER CAST, write funny notes, make little hearts--HOW COULD YOU BE SO CALLOUS????

    The one time I broke a bone (my ankle, in 1999), I had stuff ALL OVER that cast -- and I got better pronto!!

    I urge you, your dad, Nathan and anyone else in your mum's proximity to get out your felt-tipped pens and get inspired! I want to see that cast with something ON it!!!

    Sorry about Tracey -- I know you'll miss her -- it'll be so hard to work alone after all those years of her cheery company! But who knows what may happen and who may turn up to help?

    Love and miss you -- you know, the usual --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Berni,

      I have been enjoying catching up with the your blog! Have you got some CUPs Christmas cards cards on sale in the Library or shall I order some direct? I'd really like to send them this year as you are right about awareness. Having had cancer is hard at the best of times but having anything rare is ten times harder. I'd like to help spread the word if I can and the cards look great.

      You're also right about how much we're going to miss Tracy! Those little woolie hats are wonderful and such a good idea - and typical of all the fun you two bring to the Librray. I agree that Tracy will be the world's best mobile library librarian ever but BUT!

      So sorry to hear that your Mum has been in the wars too. Those little falls can be a real problem. My neighbour fell off her step and broke her heel. Get well soon Berni's Mum :)

      Love, Caroline

      Delete